So if you are reading this blog chances are you are pregnant and preparing to book a photographer for your new arrival, so I thought I would address some commonly asked questions that I receive from expectant parents.
- When should I book? I recommend booking sometime around your 20 week scan. There are occasions where I can squeeze in a last minute booking, I always try to accommodate if at all possible.
- How do I book when I don't know when baby will arrive? When you decide to book with me I put your due date as a soft booking date. Then when baby arrives you let me know and we schedule your appointment for a date that suits in the first 14 days if there are no issues with baby or mum after delivery. If a hospital stay is involved or a low weight premature birth we schedule your session when baby is released from hospital or their birth weight has reached at least 5.5lbs.
- Can I breastfeed in studio? Yes absolutely, If you would like a breastfeeding picture with your child let me know I am happy to capture this for you.
- How long does a session take? I schedule 3-4 hours for your session. Usually it is done in under 3 hours, but I schedule the extra time in case baby needs extra time to settle. I am very much a baby-led photographer. I take my queues from your baby. if they need an extra feed or nappy change we stop the session. If baby is upset they are picked up and cuddled. I am often the first stranger that has handled your new baby (outside of medical staff) So if at anytime a parent want to stop and hold baby I completely respect that and we pause the session.
- Can my other children come to the session? If they are involved in a sibling and family shoot they may come to the studio. We do family, sibling and parent poses first. Once their part is finished I do ask that they are taken from the studio as it can be quite boring for them and its better to have a quite and calm studio. Often dads/granny will take older siblings to the local park and forest to burn off some energy.
- Do I have to have my photos on your social media? No, this is entirely optional. I will never post pictures of your child without your permission. Should you chose to have a picture on social media, I usually try and have a sneak peak posted within 48 hours of your shoot.
- I have seen a pose you did with another baby, can I have that pose with my baby? You can absolutely request poses you have seen from my other shoots, and I will always try them, though not every baby will go into every pose with comfort, I will not force a baby into a position that is uncomfortable for them. Sometimes an altered style of the pose will be required, and some babies with reflux or other issues with not like back poses or lying on tummy.
- What should I wear? I can advise you of colour palettes and outfit choices if you like. Though I always say the most important thing is to be comfortable and confident
- Do I need a special outfit for baby? No, I have a selection of newborn outfits specifically made for newborn photography.
- I have seen some photos where baby is suspended, I am concerned about the safety of these poses. I NEVER suspend a baby, these images are all composited together and baby is usually laying flat on beanbag. The angle of the shot gives the illusion of suspension.
Feel free to message me with any of your questions or concerns. I am always happy to help